Salt & Batter

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington

Store: Salt & Batter, 67 The Parade, Island Bay.
Price: $8.50

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        3/5
Size of fish:        3/5
Fish quality:        3/5
Total Score:         14

Well drained of oil?: No
Satisfied?: Yes - I feel full and I'm not gonna be sick.


Comments: The first impressions of this place started me off on a high - swanky new face lift on an old chippery, staff were friendly and very welcoming, I was in and out within 8 minutes and when I popped open that brown paper bag it revealed a swag of bonus extras! You got your punnet of 'mato sauce, got your punnet of tartare sauce and got your wedge of fresh lemon packed up in there. I went for a chip first (of which there were a substantial amount) and lo, it was floppy. The middle of it slightly under cooked with a bubbled waxy exterior. Classic case of deep fryer heat set too high so that they can knock out high quantities in a hurry. As the chips cooled down they became hard and got stuck in the cusp of my molars. I was expecting a lot from a $5 piece of standard fish but it wasn't very big, the batter was soggy and under cooked and most bites had a subtle muddy flavour. I had to wash my hands before I could write this review and I'm still picking pieces of fries out of my teeth.