The Paperboat

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington

Store: The Paperboat, 461 Adelaide Rd.
Price: $5.80

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        3/5
Size of fish:        5/5
Fish quality:        3/5
Total Score:         16

Well drained of oil?: Not really
Satisfied?: Yeah - I feel full but a little bit greasy but not gross though.


Comments: So after feeling let down by the chipper last week I thought I should check out their competition who have recently opened directly across the road. This place is kinda swankyish tacky sailor chic - all the staff have matching uniforms, there were maritime themed pictures and objects everywhere and you can dine in and eat off a big plate. There were A LOT of chips but I feel like the fryer may have been set too high as they had a wonton-like surface texture and began to get hard and chewy as they cooled. They were hand crafted fries which was nice in the way of chip size and crispness variation but they weren't parboiled like store bought fries so the center of the the chip was dense and not very creamy. The fish tasted fresh and was possibly the largest single fish I have had during my time as a Fish and Chips Friday reviewer but the cut was flakey and I eventually succumbed to the dreaded batter fatigue. Seasoning was very light and they didn't bang and hang for quite long enough. Overall it was ok and I feel well fed but I don't think I'll rush to tell anyone to go eat there before they die. I gotta go wash my hands and my lips.