New Fast Food

REVIEW LOCATION:
Whanganui

Store: New Fast Food, 62 Moana St.
Price: $3.80

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        5/5
Size of fish:        4/5
Fish quality:        5/5
Total Score:         19

Well drained of oil?: Yes
Satisfied?: Yes very satisfying.


Comments: You can quit rubbing your eyes, the price is correct - $3.80 for a fish and a half scoop! Provincial fish and chips doing it right! After not living in Whanganui for a while I wanted some local knowledge on the best chip shop atm so my dad suggested the New Fast Food shop around the corner from our family home. It's actually called New Fast Food and it's been there for years.
On arrival I noticed their shop sign humbly states "BEST IN WANGANUI". With these two opinions on board I have to say I was rather skeptical. Cruising around my old stomping ground I was flooded with pleasant memories and standing outside waiting for my order I was treated to waves of nostalgia.
The menu was painted silver with fancy hand lettering in black chisel tip vivid. The specials menu was printed out twice, there was a soft toy claw arcade machine and the rugby played on a flat screen tv above the smorgasbord Chinese food. The shop had a pretty decent turnover but my order didn't take very long at all.
The chips were probably some of the best in the game in all aspects. Crunchy exterior thru to a creamy middle, the bang and hang was off the hook and they weren't dried out like over hung chips can get. The finger grease and waxy mouth feel was non-existent and they were seasoned perfectly. The fish was fresh and moist with the right amount of crunch in the crispy golden batter. The batter to fish ratio was also golden. This would have been perfect 5's across the board but even though the fish seemed large it was a quite thin, however, I guess paying $3.80 a thicker fillet might have been asking for a bit much. Where this meal lacked it most definitely made up for in nostalgia as I sat in the family home and watched The Fifth Element. Great to end these reviews on a positive high. Thanks for reading!