Mt Vic Chippery

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington


Store: Mt Vic Chippery, 5 Majoribanks St.
Price: $17.80

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        2/5
Size of fish:        4/5
Fish quality:        4/5
Total Score:         15

Well drained of oil?: Yes
Satisfied?: I'm full and lethargic.

Comments: I simply asked for a fish and a half scoop. I thought this would be a straight forward request. However, this was met with the question of which fish I would like from the ott list on the wall (75% of which were unavailable). I was next asked which of the 5 different chip options I would like. I feel like this place over complicates itself for no reason. If I want a specific cut of fish or beer batter fries I'd hit u up if they're available. You don't have to prove anything, it's just fish and chips. Just chill k.
Once I had let this go and finish rolling my eyes, I find out they don't offer a half scoop. I felt the tension build in my shoulders as I responded "ok just a scoop then thanks" with an empty smile, a skill I had naturally picked up from years of working in hospitality. As I leaned in to pay with paywave, the FOH staff changed as the first guy goes off to do something more important so I had to repeat my order. That's fine. Then she said "$17.80" and it's at that point where I had utterly given up any hope in this place, while at the same time a corrupt Sound Garden mp3 played over the stereo.
The wait time was a lot shorter than I expected and it was nice to see that the fish gets rested in paper towels to remove excess oil. Unboxing revealed a powerful amount of chips, as one would expect at this price range from a fish shop but it seemed like they were double the amount of chips that one person would need. If only there were some sort of way around this issue. Some way to only order half of that amount. Hmmmm.
I took the huge amount as an unspoken challenge and worked my way through the lot with the exception of a few green chips that I didn't trust enough to grant access to inside my body. It was a struggle but I got there eventually. As I made my way thru the mountain of fries, the number of fries I ate which were still raw in the middle began to increase exponentially to the point where I was eventually left with a box full of uncooked fries.
The fish was a fair size and chunky and even though the batter ratio was bang on it was unfortunately doughy in areas. I'm partial to Moki but it became quite rich after a while.
I dunno about this place. Gentrifying hood food is bull shit and when you can walk up to Cuba St and get better quality for $10 cheaper I guess I have to tell it like it is - this place fucking sucks so much.