Athena Fish & Chips

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington

Store: Athena Fish & Chips, 138 Onepu Rd.
Price: $5.00

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        2/5
Size of fish:        4/5
Fish quality:        2/5
Total Score:         13

Well drained of oil?: Not bad
Satisfied?: Not really. I'm full but true satisfaction depends on more than just a full gut. 


Comments: Well. I was really hoping this one would be good. The walls were covered in fake wood grain panels, there were two NZ commercial fish posters, a poster of a skydiver riding a surfboard real high up and there was one of those tiny windows through to the back room with the vertical one way mirror stripes. The menu was chaotic mix of pro vinyl lettering and crude blue chisel tip vivid and there was a plastic vine in a green planter hanging from the corner of the room. 
The chips started off ok but the more I ate, the less I wanted to eat them. They were home cut fries and cooked to the point where the bigger chips were cooked through to the middle but the smaller chips were burnt. I suspect that they were machine peeled or perhaps just poorly handled as a lot of the chips had a slightly sour bruised potato flavour. They had more of a chew than a crunch and became exponentially chewier and harder to swallow as they cooled. The fish seemed plump at first but with my first bite I realised it was just bulked out with flour-heavy batter. It was under cooked and felt like you were just eating bland dough and had a gooey mash potato consistency inside. Over all it was a poorly seasoned, poorly cooked, flavourless gut filler and I think I'm gonna be gummed up for days.