Fisherman's Plate

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington

Store: Fisherman's Plate, 12 Bond St.
Price: $8.50

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        3/5
Size of fish:        5/5
Fish quality:        2/5
Total Score:         15

Well drained of oil?: Nope
Satisfied?: I am full but I feel oily and gross.


Comments: This place has a real cool awkward ambience. There's an abrasive humming and I can't figure out where it's coming from as the woman on the table next to me goes through an identity crisis. There's free wifi and laminated newspaper reviews from David Burton and the singer from Phoenix Foundation plastered on a few of the grubby walls. Granted, the Vietnamese cuisine they have on the menu looks pretty amazing but they really shouldn't even bother when it comes to fish and chips imo. The pile of chips was pretty epic but I would kind of expect that for $4. They followed the common mistake of cooking everything way too damn hot leaving the middle of the chips dense and undercooked with a chewy plasticy outer. The chips were pretty flavourless and had a subtle hint of dirt and dry wood. The fish was a thin piece of veiny shark which was also bland and undercooked. Every few bites had a muddy taste which seemed to linger well after the meal was done. By the end I was drenched in oil and my mouth had a thick grease coating which needed a bottle of fizz to cut through it. These sucked but edible at least I suppose.