Bay's Takeaways

REVIEW LOCATION:
Wellington

Store: Bay's Takeaway, 138 The Parade, Island Bay.
Price: $5.50

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        3/5
Size of fish:        5/5
Fish quality:        5/5
Total Score:         18

Well drained of oil?: Yes
Satisfied?: Yes - I feel good.


Comments: I counted 8 staff behind the counter at one point and it was chaos with everyone climbing over the top of each other which was crack up. There were some powerfully underwhelming amateur photos of their Chinese menu on the wall tucked out of sight in the passage thru to the rear exit. It was almost as though they were embarrassed of them but someone higher rank insisted they keep them up. They were very generous with the chips but they followed the old xtra hot oil trick and the chips got tough and stuck to my teeth which I'm really not ok with - maybe it's a new phobia of mine. Also their home cut chips were really thick which I'm not a huge fan because it makes the chip bland and the middle is like you're biting into a boiled potato. The fish was a decent size, very chunky and juicy. It was cooked well and the batter ratio was almost bang on. It was so enjoyable that I had almost finished it before I even made a dent in the chips so I had to consciously pace myself so that there was some left near the end of the meal. Quite under seasoned overall but the oil drainage was so good that I don't even feel like I just piled a bunch of deep fried food into me and there is no sign of grease on my mitts.