Hong Kong Fast Food

     REVIEW LOCATION:

New Plymouth


Store: Hong Kong Fast Food, 141 St Aubyn St.
Price: $7.60

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        2/5
Size of fish:        5/5
Fish quality:        3/5
Total Score:         15

Well drained of oil?: Almost not a drop left.
Satisfied?: I'm stuffed.

Comments: 
As their name suggests, this food was definitely fast. I placed my order over the phone and it can't have taken me more than 8 minutes door to door but I arrived to find my food ready and waiting under a heat lamp.
This store was a visual overload. Menus upon menus, 3 coke fridges in a row and a screen playing channel 2 super loud. To the left of the counter was a dining room full of red velvet chairs to enjoy their western style Chinese menu. The woman working solo in the empty store was straight to the point and wasn't there to chitchat. As soon as I had paid for my meal she basically ran off to restock the coke fridge.
The chips were at a quantity unlike I have ever seen before. I had to tap out. There was no way I was going to fit that all inside my body or want to for that matter. A combination of bruised potato and fryer temp being too high left these chips hard outside and dusty on the inside. They digested slow and had the same mouth drying quality of a slice of quince.
The fish was a slice of lemon fish and the filet itself was pretty decent. They tried to lift it with a tiny wedge of lemon but the doughy under cooked batter brought it crashing back down.
The person cooking these was all thumbs and I'm glad I visited this shop alone so no one else had to go through this. Another one for the "Don't bother" pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment