The Empty Nest Takeaways

        REVIEW LOCATION:

Ashhurst


Store: The Empty Nest Takeaways, 107 Cambridge Ave.
Price: $6.80


Amount of chips:     3/5
Chip quality:        2/5
Size of fish:        3/5
Fish quality:        4/5
Total Score:         12

Well drained of oil?: Great job.
Satisfied?: Could definitely have eaten more food but maybe not this food.

Comments: 
I saw this shop as I was on my way to stay the night at my sister's house in Ashhurst. At a glance I thought it was called "The Empty Takeaways" which was funny but the actual name of the place makes just as much sense. What does a nest have to do with anything? Why does the fact that it's empty somehow link to Fish and Chips?
As I arrived the smell of garam masala met me up the street guiding me all the way to the register. To my surprise, this fish and chip shop also does takeaway Indian food. A combination I have yet to have seen until now.
The chips were a pretty big disappointment. Not only were they a low quantity, they were cooked in that way where all you're left with is the empty shell of a chip. I am thankful that they allowed them to drain of oil otherwise they would have been a very hard pass from me. Points also deducted for the bruised chip that also made their way into my small pile. Even my hot chip connoisseur nephew who was present only gave them a 4/10 I think.
The fish was nothing to get excited about. It was a slightly below average size piece of Rig. On a brighter note it was cooked half decent and didn't have any muddiness to it.
I get it, in the economic climate we're experiencing in New Zealand companies have to be adaptable and offer products that people want in order to stay afloat. Good on them for trying to hustle.
I hear their Indian menu is supposed to be pretty good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment