Marinovich's Seafood Restaurant

REVIEW LOCATION:
New Plymouth


Store: Marinovich's Seafood Restaurant, 19 Brougham St.
Price: $10.00

Amount of chips:     5/5
Chip quality:        2/5
Size of fish:        3/5
Fish quality:        4/5
Total Score:         14

Well drained of oil?: Lips felt slightly chapped but good overall.
Satisfied?: My guts are feeling pretty packed.

Comments: Unfortunately I didn't get to experience this chip shop personally as these were picked up for me so I don't have any comments on the vibe of the place but the online presence (Google street view lets you go inside) and logo caught my attention.
I can't say anything too brutal about this place as it is my in-law's go to for their Friday night fish and chips and they seem pretty happy with it.
...But to be completely honest, it wasn't the best experience I've had which says a lot given this is what I'd consider to be our national dish.
The chips, while extremely plentiful managed to fall outside of the category of what I'd consider to be the perfect chip. They were more reminiscent of a roasted potato than a classic hot chip. If home cut fries is a game for the big kids, these chips would definitely get chosen last. The bang and hang was great but the waxy exterior was a quite rough - an hour after eating I'm beginning to get feeling back in my tongue. Inside was slightly under developed and I'm just really not into super thick fries. The ratio of crispy exterior to mashy inner is out of wack and what you're left with is just a mouthful of bland potato for most of the meal which can't be corrected with seasoning.
The fish was quite pleasant for your industry standard piece of lemon fish. The flesh was juicy and it was wrapped in just the right amount of batter. It was beautifully cooked and only let down by it's size considering it was a $5 fillet of the default fish.
I wanna give a quick mention to the cook's light hand when it came to the application of the seasoning. I feel like everything I've eaten from a food vendor since I've been back has been INTENSE and over seasoned so I appreciated that.
Overall not the worst I've had but also not a place I will remember in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment